In our last post we talked about SAST solutions and why they are not always the best solution for AST. In this blog post, we are going to compare SAST to DAST solutions.
If we talk about traditional DAST solutions, the best way to reinforce the security in your organization is to use both DAST and SAST. However, even traditional Dynamic Application Security Testing solutions have advantages over Static Application Security Testing solutions.
While SAST needs to support the language and the web application framework to work, DAST is language agnostic. DAST is testing working applications for outwardly facing vulnerabilities in the application interface.
Being a black-box solution, DAST interacts with the app from the outside. DAST tests the app’s defense against techniques that a hacker might use while trying to exploit your application.
Because of DAST’s language independence, you won’t have problems integrating a DAST tool into a CI/CD pipeline. It then scans the application, looking for ways to exploit vulnerabilities, sending remediation guidelines as soon as it detects a vulnerability.
DAST tools are also easier to use. Properly implemented DAST solutions can report only vulnerabilities that can be exploited and significantly reduce false positives. Most importantly, it saves a lot of money and time for both the developers and the SecOps team.
The superiority of NexDAST
One of the most cutting-edge DAST solutions on the market is NeuraLegion’s NexDAST. Here is why:
1. We provide complete coverage for application testing including:
c) API (Both REST and SOAP)
d) WebSockets (NexDAST is the only DAST tool capable of testing WebSockets. Learn more about the most common Websocket vulnerabilities)
e) Single-page applications – NexDAST interacts with applications and don’t just scan them. This enables NexDAST to expand menus, etc. in the application and test vulnerabilities throughout the page while others can’t.
f) NexDAST interacts with applications and not just scans them. This enables NexDAST to parse context and provide deeper coverage than other solutions on the market.
2. Integration into the SDLC (shift left). NexDAST has the ability to use HAR files and define what tests will be run. This enables it to run targeted scans that will run much faster and scan at the speed of DevOps. Other solutions rely on a crawler, so they take longer to run and can’t run efficiently as part of CI/CD.
3. As NexDAST is a SaaS solution, we have the largest number of payloads.
4. We only report vulnerabilities that we validated can be exposed. This significantly reduces alert fatigue.
5. We provide remediation guidelines for every vulnerability so developers can remedy them quickly and efficiently.
NexDAST is easy to integrate into the most popular SDLC tools. This includes CircleCI, Github, Azure DevOps, Jenkins and others. NexDAST is also not destructive. Meaning it exploits vulnerabilities, but it does not create sustained damage.
– SQLi (It registers the information about the data’s vulnerability without changing it)
– XSS (Things that affect the user change, but no sustained damage is done)
– OS Command Injection (It exfiltrates the exploit to confirm the vulnerability, but no files are deleted and the server doesn’t restart)
If you want to see NexDAST in action, request a free demo! Our team will be more than happy to showcase all the advantages NexDAST has over other AST tools.